I love and recommend Redis.

If you can use a Redis key instead of Django's cache, you can call get() on
the key. If the result is not None, now you have it. If it is None, you
know it didn't exist, so you can set it.

I don't think it's possible to have it work the way you want with the
default cache -- there's no way to know that in between checking for it and
finding it empty and setting it some other process didn't just set it.

You may have noticed there's still a tiny race condition in the naive use
of Redis I described. That's easily handled using Redis's "watch" command.

See:

http://redis.io/commands/exec