As per this document:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/topics/auth/passwords/

Django will upgrade all existing passwords to use the 'preferred'
algorithm. Two questions:

1. What is the 'preferred' algorithm? Is this set by Django? Or is this
simply the hasher at the top (or bottom) of the PASSWORD_HASHERS tuple?

2. *How can I disable or otherwise bypass this feature?* The database I am
working with is shared with an older code-base and until we migrate the
other components, I"d rather not "upgrade" the existing password hashes.

Thanks!
- Kurtis