On May 17, 2013, at 12:57 AM, Joe Jasinski wrote:

> So I hear that Django 1.6 will ship with a connection pooler built in, which
> is awesome.  Does this remove the need to have a stand-alone service such as
> pgbouncer, or am I misunderstanding how the new built-in connection will
> work?

Aymeric can give the definitive story, but in my view it's a very handy
component, but doesn't (and wasn't intended to) replace a stand-alone
connection pooler.

The 1.6 connection pool solves the issue of Django opening a new connection on
each request by reusing connections at the thread level.  It doesn't share
connections across multiple processes in the same machine, for example, nor
across application servers.  For that, you need a stand-alone pooler.

It also doesn't help the common problem of multiplexing a lot of potential
application-side connections down to the number of active server-side
connections that the database server can actually handle.  And, of course, if
you're using the advanced features of (say) pgPool II, there's a lot of stuff
that an app-side pool won't help.

So, it's a great and very useful feature, but a stand alone pooler definitely
has a role still.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com