Very good guess... but I looked and in both manage.py and  mysite/wsgi.py,
they both contain the line:
os.environ.setdefault("DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE", "mysite.settings")

(I was disappointed too - seemed like the right answer!)

If it helps at all, I am using sqlite3, and I cloned the database file
along with the rest of the project from github at the start. (this process
has worked for me before on other machines.)

Thanks,
Brian