Well, that would explain it.  For directories the execute bit has to do
with directory traversal, rather than the execution of anything.  No
adjustment to your wsgi config can get around that.

I can't advise you about mappings between windows permissions and *nix
permissions, not what sshclient does about it, since I don't use them.  If
it's not just a matter of having the correct CACLs on the Windows side, or
configuration options to sshclient (or some explicit step you took), you
can always write a script that fixes up ownerships and permissions (will
have to be run with sudo or as root).