I agree that none of these suggestions are particularly onerous, and I have
implemented a suitable work-around for my project.

However, looking at the bigger picture:

   - In django <= 1.4, all user objects had a username field, which many
   apps came to rely on as a human-readable unique identifier of the user
   - As of django >= 1.5, user objects are no longer guaranteed this field,
   breaking those apps. However a constant USERNAME_FIELD is defined as the
   field which contains what would once have qualified as a username
   - Rather than force those developers to re-write those apps, would it
   not make sense to implement an alias-type field in BaseAbstractUser model
   (or via its Manager and Queryset)?

What would be the pros vs cons of this approach?

Is it worth raising in django-developers?

Cheers,

Victor