Is the admin interface customizable at all?  Specifically:

1.  Can you create a workflow, like step 1, step 2, step 3, then save object?

2.  Can you create a lookup select for a foreign key?  For example, if
I have an object that has a ForeignKey and there are 10,000 instances
of the foreign key, I would like to pop-up a new window, have the user
search for the foreign key instance, and then set the value back on
the original form, because:

a)  loading 10,000 options in a select will be slow
b)  an admin user will most likely not be able to find the specific
foreign key instance they are looking for in a drop-down.  This can be
true with even smaller lists, where you might want to look for
instance based on a couple of properties, such as name or
date_published.

It seems to me like the admin interface is kind of like you get what
you get and if it doesn't do what you need, you have to build the
forms for that object by creating the templates, manipulators, view,
etc.  You can't extend, modify, etc the admin stuff at all.   Is that
true?