On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 20:12 -0700, frank wrote:

> Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 16:05 -0700, frank wrote:
> > > I have a simple loop which sets up a series of radio-buttons.
> > > "objgroup" is
> > > obtained through a DB query/filter:
> > >
> > > {% for obj in objgroup %}
> > >     <P><INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME="selected" VALUE={{ obj.id }}
> > >                {% ifequal seek_id  obj.id %} CHECKED {% endifequal %} >
> > >      showing other things... </P>
> > > {% endfor %}
> > >
> > > However the operation never indicates the desired default condition.
> > > If I force an exception, I can see that the "seek_id" that I pass into
> > > the
> > > template has been forced into a list (as happens to everything).
> > > Attributes
> > > of objects, of course, don't get list-ified, so I speculate that this
> > > is why
> > > the comparison never succeeds even when the interior values would
> > > appear to match.  i.e.: [n] != n   The obvious seek_id[0] fails, as
> > > does
> > > referring to it as {{seek_id}} within the {% ifequal...%}.
> >

> > This will probably be easier to diagnose if you can explain how seek_id
> > is generated. We don't coerce everything into lists, so something is
> > going on to make it a list at that point. So what does your view do to
> > generate seek_id?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Malcolm
>
> Sure -- seek_id is calculated in the view.  It is delivered to the
> template
> via the second argument to render_to_response: { ..., "seek_id" :
> value,...}.

Yes, I realised it came from the view like that. So my question wasn't
clear. What have you said doesn't tell us what the seek_id value really
*is*. Is it an integer, a string, an instance with methods? Can you
print what type(seek_id) is before giving it to render_to_response just
to check it really is what you are expecting.

> Again, it's definitely not a list at that point, though it appears as
> [value]
> in the dump that occurs with an exception.

Something strange is going on and that is why I am asking about seek_id.
Django does not just convert things to lists if they aren't lists, so
either you are passing in something like a QuerySet, whose string
representation makes it looks like a list (are you using filter()
instead of get() in a QuerySet for example?), or seek_id is not what you
think it is. So put some debugging prints in the view and try to gather
some more information about seek_id.

Regards,
Malcolm