So, my website, involving lots of database calls, works perfectly fine,
even after a reboot.

However, attempting to connect directly via dbshell results in  this error:
$ ./manage.py dbshell
mysql: unknown variable 'character-set-server=utf8'

Attempting to figure out my version of mysql also gave the same error.
$ mysql --version
mysql: unknown variable 'character-set-server=utf8'

Google searches all give results about people trying to configure mysql for
the first time, so it doesn't seem to apply to me, and the database is
clearly working fine when Django is the one connecting to it.

I haven't had a need to connect to dbshell for a long time (thanks,
South!), so I have no idea when this change occurred. But my website is
working fine. It would be nice to figure out why this is happening, in case
I do have to connect to dbshell at some point in the future.