I installed a client for my favourite distributed version control system on
my Linode instance.  I have a private repository on a public IP.  (github,
bitbucket, or launchpad will work, depending on your dvcs of choice -- I
have used all three, and other times I have used a private dvcs host,
including my Linode server itself.) I "cloned" a "checkout" of my django
system to the Linode. When I am happy from testing a new version of my
application:  I push it to the repository,  log in to my Linode using ssh,
and do a pull.  Easy and error free.  (My django environment is almost
exactly like yours with PostGIS, etc.)