We have been using django 1.3.0 for a long time.  We are now trying to
migrate to 1.5.4.  We have not changed any schema or model information.  We
have been using two layers of middleware and backends (notably something
based on SSLAuth Django App to authenticate first by certificate issued
from a trusted authority, then django_auth_ldap to login via ldap if no
valid certificate is presented). Both of these live on top of whatever
user/certificate/client/etc. scheme is supported in django 1.3.0.

But under django 1.5.4 we are
seeing django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured exceptions
"AUTH_USER_MODEL refers to model 'auth.User' that has not been installed"
on the gui page when trying to log in.  The chunk'o'code that handles
looking for certificate and creating a user if the certificate is presented
gets this error (so that nobody can use their certificates to log in); then
the fallback "login" view kicks in, and gets the traceback shown here;
Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in
get_response
  115.                         response = callback(request, *callback_args,
**callback_kwargs)
File "/var/www/lauri/dj/ncis_gui/ncis_gui/src/ncis_gui.py" in login
  244.     return views.login(request, *args, template_name='login.html',
extra_context=ncis_context, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/views/decorators/debug.py" in
sensitive_post_parameters_wrapper
  75.             return view(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/utils/decorators.py" in
_wrapped_view
  91.                     response = view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/views/decorators/cache.py" in
_wrapped_view_func
  89.         response = view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/views.py" in
login
  53.         form = authentication_form(request)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/forms.py" in
__init__
  177.         UserModel = get_user_model()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/__init__.py" in
get_user_model
  129.         raise ImproperlyConfigured("AUTH_USER_MODEL refers to model
'%s' that has not been installed" % settings.AUTH_USER_MODEL)

Exception Type: ImproperlyConfigured at /login/
Exception Value: AUTH_USER_MODEL refers to model 'auth.User' that has not
been installed

After googling and reading whatever I could find on the subject (most
notably
http://procrastinatingdev.com/django/using-configurable-user-models-in-django-1-5/
 where
it expressly says that if you're happy with the existing stuff you don't
have to change any code) -- I am thoroughly vexed.

What migration step have I missed in order to really use the stuff we were
using before without changes?

-- lauri