There is indeed a better way: Structured Settings.
  Turn the usual pattern of having settings.py import local_settings.py
upside down.  Call your specific setting (you can specify it be altering
the DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE environment variable in your virtualenv
activation script) and it will import the main settings (which you rename
to base.py).  This is documented in
http://www.slideshare.net/jacobian/the-best-and-worst-of-django which is
the slides of a presentation by one of the "fathers" of django.

1) create a settings folder in your project.
2) copy settings.py into it, rename it to base.py, and remove the import of
local_settings.
3) copy local_settings.py into it and have it import * from base.py
4) make as many copies as you need different environments.

My default settings start out like this (this is default_settings.py with
dots where there should be white space so that nesting is preserved)

# this system uses structured settings.py as defined in
http://www.slideshare.net/jacobian/the-best-and-worst-of-django
> #
> # this third-level staging file overrides some definitions in staging.py
> # You may wish to alter it to agree with your local environment
> #
>
> from staging import *  # get most settings from staging.py (which in turn,
> imports from base.py)
>
> # # # now override the settings which came from staging # # # #
>
> # choose a different database...
> # sqlite
> DATABASES = {
> .    'default': {
> ..        'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.sqlite3',
> ..        'NAME': 'db.sqlite3',
> .    }
> }
>
> DATABASE_ROUTERS = []  # turn off second database
>
> # Make a unique unique key just for testing, and don't share it with anybody.
> SECRET_KEY = 'mlfs33^s1l4xf6a36$0#j%dd*sisfoi&)&4s-v=91#^l01v)*j'

  I have gone a step further by altering my manage.py to more easily call
multiple settings files, and to remind me which one I am using at any
moment.  My present version of manage.py looks like this: