Thanks Russell.

Although the patch for that ticket did not work in my particular case,
I was able to modify the patch slightly to solve my problem. For anyone
else with the same problem, here's my patch for
django/db/models/query.py:

    643     if lookup_type == 'in':
    644         #return '%s%s IN (%s)' % (table_prefix, field_name,
','.join(['%s' for v in valu
    645         ### MY CODE
    646         ids = list(value)
    647         if ids:
    648             return '%s%s IN (%s)' % (table_prefix, field_name,
','.join(['%s' for id in
    649         else:
    650             return '%s%s IN (0)' % (table_prefix, field_name)
    651         ### END OF MY CODE

I don't think this should cause problems anywhere else, but use at your
own risk! Hopefully by mid November when my site launches, the most
recent revision of Django will have solved this issue and there will be
no need for patched Django source code.

cheers,
Les Liddell