James Bennett wrote:
> This is probably the way to do it; adding special-case hooks to the
> generic views doesn't sound like a good solution to me.

Well, callables  which can be sent into generic views and are executed
just prior to handing off to the template in order to populate
additional context to the form. I'm trying to get (near) equivalent
functionality to occur just prior to the database save. I certainly
wouldn't call it an elegant solution, but  the status quo doesn't seem
to provide this functionality which is even less elegant. I'd ideally
like to see the generic views for creation and modification of an
object  be powerful enough to be used for the admin interface, but
without some way of attaching functionality into the view prior to key
events like object saves, I think generic views just don't have the
power at this point.

Another use case for this kind of functionality might be to perform
auto slugification for fields, so that end users wouldn't have to
create their own slugs.

> For getting access to the object, I believe that when the 'post_save'
> dispatcher signal is sent after saving, one of the included attributes
> of the signal is the object itself.

Yes, but you'd still have to associate that with with the request
object that was passed to the generic view so that the user id of the
creator/modifier of the object can be associated with the log record.
It also wouldn't seem to give an indication of what the object's state
was before being modified.

I guess I see the fact that  a callable can be sent into a generic view
to be run as part of the extra_context parameter as a usefull pre_ hook
for a generic view when the view is called as a 'GET' and I'm wishing
similar functionality existed when the view is called as a POST.

  -- William