Actually you're using something I'd probably not even bother using a widget
for.

Really, you probably just want to include the appropriate CSS and JS in
your template (although you can use the widget class as well - the key here
is that the CSS and JS need to be on your page somewhere).

You then need to trigger the date selector.

Docs show

   1. $('.datepicker').datepicker()

Which would find all inputs of class 'datepicker'

So we need to set the class on your input.

expiry_date = forms.DateField(widget=CalendarWidget(attrs={'class':
'datepicker'}))

note you can just use the TextInput widget if you're including the CSS/JS
in your template. That tends to be what I do unless I'm creating a full
featured widget which is pretty rare.

expiry_date = forms.DateField(widget=TextInput(attrs={'class':
'datepicker'}))

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7a28eabb-438f-4951-a2f4-77ffff563aa5%40googlegroups.com.