I've used something like this before (in urls.py), which uses the
runserver to set it up (non-threaded of course, but it's not too much
of a problem for a single user on localhost):

# Serve files
# - if file_server is None, then we get Django to try to do
#   it out of /files  anyone using this on a production
#   website should be beaten. Use a lightweight
#   fileserver ( Zeus, thttpd, lighthttpd, or an optimised
#   Apache ) instead.
if settings.MNEMOSYNE_SETTINGS['file_server'] == None:
    urlpatterns += patterns('',
        ( r'^files/(?P<path>.*)', 'django.views.static.serve',
        {   'document_root': settings.MNEMOSYNE_SETTINGS['filepath'],
            'show_indexes':True } ),
    )

I've also used SimpleHTTPServer to do this on a different port.

Neither of which are the most elegant of solutions, but they work...

--Simon