On 12/10/2013 09:54 AM, Tom Evans wrote:

> It is slightly different to what I have described, Django has a
> deprecation policy, features not pending deprecation in X.Y will work
> in X.Y+1 and X.Y+2, features pending deprecation in X.Y will work in
> X.Y+1 but not X.Y+2. This means that what commonly happens is a
> release has a feature that is pending deprecation, you upgrade to the
> release without rewriting/fixing the deprecated section, and then
> update to the next version and find that your code is broken.
>
>>            My intention is not to be critical, as I really like Python and
>> Django.  Similar to learning Node.js and the specification of Dependencies,
>> I have not read or found discussed in an online course, why one might not
>> use the latest version of a dependency... or how one would be needing
>> earlier versions of a dependency or a component of a framework.
>> Thanks in advance for any advice,
>> Bruce
>
> The reason we version software is so that the API can be fixed at
> particular points. If you write your site for django 1.2, and then
> install django 1.6, it (probably) will not work.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Right this is closer to say the difference between Drupal 5,6,7
Django just uses the 2nd level numbering to indicate api compatibility.
So 1.4.x,1.5.x,1.6.x would be the django world equivalent. ie some
migration or code change is involved to move. Keep in mind that Drupal,
Wordpress etc are also release products, not frameworks - you can run
Drupal or Wordpress without writing any code. You can not do the same
for Django. Django is intended to help you write custom websites.

Enjoy,
Alex

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/52A7916C.7050104%40wildintellect.com.