Hi,

I would like to announce a GUI app, written in wxPython, that I quickly
assembled yesterday mainly using some code from StackOverflow and Google.

The app is called wxMailServer and all it does is: it acts as a mail server
(it listens for traffic incoming at localhost port 25) and when an e-mail
is received, it displays this e-mail, highlighting URL addresses in it and
launching a web browser in case you click on any of those addresses.

I found it very helpful to test my Django apps with it. The pattern "notify
user by an e-mail with a link inside" is often used, and as I imagine, that
there may be a lot of different approach to this idea, wxMailServer is one
of possible implementations[*].

The GitHub repo is here: https://github.com/mpasternak/wxMailServer . Yes,
the app is a quick hack and it does not display nicely formatted HTML
e-mails with attachments yet, but on the other hand, I am not sending those
with my Django apps yet. So, perhaps, rather please treat it as an example
implementation of an idea.

E-mail sending is getting harder and harder nowadays, with my VM unable to
send e-mail because of local antivirus, and if I disable it, I get notices
from Google about being on an IP that is not allowed to send e-mails. So,
anyway, it looks harder and harder. Why do that, then? E-mail server
running on localhost, displaying incoming e-mails should be the best tool
to test if your app generates proper e-mails.

So, if wxMailServe ris a tool you need, get it and have fun with it.

Regards,
Michael Pasternak

[*] - I once thought about creating a POP3 client for my tests, that would
login into a real POP3 account and fetch the e-mails and check if there are
any e-mails from my Django app, then click links on those, automatically.
Fortunatley, I did not went that way, but it seemed interesting.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ef831f31-fa63-4805-a996-4c6ba807abee%40googlegroups.com.