On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 14:19 +0200, Mario Graziosi wrote:
[...]
> I found the reason for that behavior: I had in my settings.py the
> following declaration:
>
> TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID = 'invalid var'

That setting causes nothing but trouble, it seems. :-(

> which I added to better view my template errors. That caused the HTML to
> be generated as:
>
> <thinvalid>
>   Full Name
> </thinvalid>
> <thinvalid>
>   Notes
> </thinvalid>
>
> instead of
>
> <th>
>   Full Name
> </th>
> <th>
>   Notes
> </th>
>
> I don't know if this should be considered a Django bug (probably not).

Probably not strictly a bug. Sometimes a class attribute is put in there
(for columns that allow sorting). However that class attribute isn't
possible on non-database columns, so the class attribute comes up as
"invalid" -- which would normally be harmless.

Still, a trap for the unwary. I'm not a big fan of
TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID; we need a better solution for the problem it
is trying to solve.

Glad you solved your problem in the end.

Regards,
Malcolm