Thanks for replays, everyone.

My fault - I didn't said I already went through official tutorial, some
of the documentation and faq. I have set up and studied django website
sources, and also red a few articles, including "How Django processes a
request" (both, James and Simon's). Presentations from google techtalks
and snakes-and-rubies thing were quite interesting - general overview
of framework with examples, etc. - You should do more of such things
probably. And Tom's screencast of course...

Still, I do not understand this "shared-nothing" thing. Sounds like
cool marketing slogan =)

Regarding performance. Throwing more ram, moving tasks to separated
rigs, and setting caching proxy rigs are indeed effective options. But
not in first place. In fact this should be more like last resort.
Framework-level caching on different stages are much better solution.

Even better is what is called "to do things faster is to do less". It
is one of my mantras (I share yours as well - DRY, Loose Coupling, and
Explicit is Better). Although often they might conflict with each other
- Explicit is Better vs Less Code, and Faster is Less vs DRY/Quick
Development...

To not violate the "Faster is Less" principle, one should know
framework pretty well, and framework itself should presuppose this on
design level. Thats what I was asking about - does Django scales good
in term of application growth (not just data growth, in fact usually it
is both).

Adding more and more features often lead to application doing
unnecessary stuff behind scenes. Things that could be avoided -
computations, database calls, etc. That is, just waste of resources. Or
else, it will lead to loosing abstraction level in favor of
performance. That is, maintenance hell. Its hard to me to explain my
concerns exactly, but hope you got the idea.

I looked though list of Django-powered sites, and surfed some of them.
But it can't tell me how they works. What set up the use, and how big
they are in terms of domain logic and how efficient resulted (framework
+ site) code is.

So I just asked here =)

Question should be more like "Do Django designed to helps big
sophisticated projects to stay maintainable and yet efficient in terms
of performance while growing further?"

I'm sure for good developers it is possible to achieve this with or
without any framework, but key is "Do Django *designed*" that way?

--
serg.