Hi,

I have a fairly simple Django site up and running on Heroku kind of a test
project for me, all is well and I'm pretty happy with my progress so far:
easylaughs.herokuapp.com

Its a site for managing weekly theatre shows, workshops and courses and it
was intended to run alongside, possibly eventually to replace, the flat
HTML pages at www.easylaughs.nl, which is updated manually by three
volunteers with an FTP account (bit old fashioned but there you go) :)

However there have been some grumblings about a few things, mainly that
they are used to login with FTP, edit the HTML and upload the edited
HTML/CSS, and they don't want to get into git, virtualenvs, python etc, but
they still want to be able to edit the 'HTML pages' occasionally. I have
given them a few flatpages to play with (the /press/ url for example), and
explained that if there is data that changes it either should go in a
flatpage or in the database...but that doesn't seem to cut it for (one of)
them. (and I don't really want to end up being the only fella responsible
for the website, so it would be nice to hand off some responsibility e.g.
for the styling). There is also a worry about the hard won SEO... but
that's for another thread...

I had a thought that they might be able to pull the django generated data
from the flat HTML site and embed it, using javascript or something? For
example, a stripped out version of the 'Next Show' and 'Next Workshop' data
on the front page?

Do I need an API for this, or can they just pull the Django generated HTML
in directly with Javascript somehow? I don't really want to suggest an
iframe.. I understand they're even more old fashioned than FTP ;)

I've been reading up on django-rest-framework and it looks like just what I
need, but I don't want to do work I don't need to (although it *would *be
another interesting thing to learn!). They can CRUD the data from the
admin, so it'll only be GET requests, so is an API just overkill?

Pointers for further reading very welcome, and I fully accept this might be
a very, very stupid question. I really appreciate any advice you might have!

Thanks
Jim

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/04dce4d6-4fa8-4025-9668-200bf7788efc%40googlegroups.com.