I've run into this issue twice... both times I spent hours and finally
found the error and was in tears... especially the second time I did it :)

I've made custom view handlers in urls.py like these:

handler500 = 'myproject.views.server_error'
handler404 = 'myproject.views.page_not_found'

However, my 404 view extended the 500 and did not set a 404 response code
on the response object.. thus, no 404 mails from the middleware.

Idiotic, but true :)

Benjamin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/04ca5903-18cf-4f50-82b8-fc52eca55c6e%40googlegroups.com.