That's a good book for all things GIS/Python as well as a GeoDjango example.

These links may help out also. They use Leaflet
<http://leafletjs.com/>instead of the GeoDjango built-in OpenLayers

https://github.com/makinacorpus/django-leaflet

http://blog.mathieu-leplatre.info/geodjango-maps-with-leaflet.html

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CANhS580%3Dy5D016MPHsHnm%2B9fidRQJZao06%2BmOp2NfxoF3h17rw%40mail.gmail.com.