Hi,

I'm currently planning to port an old application that was used to register
participants for events to Django.

The old app did not have any real database system, but was based on dBase
files.

There was one global table where the basic information about each event was
stored (like event name, begin and end date and lots of other details).

The actual data tables for each event where stored in a sub-folder of the
main directory like this:

main
    E001
    E002
    E003

This was quite convenient because creating a new event was just adding a
record to the main database and doing a copy of a directory. It was also
very easy to do a backup of the data.

Since there is no way to create a new database for each new event directly
from the Django application, i'm wondering how this could be structured in
the most efficient way.

I was thinking about creating an "events" table that holds the settings for
each event.

All other tables, like "participants", "hotels", "packages", "payments"
etc. would then be linked to the event table via the events primary key.

I plan to use Postgresql, so database performance should be no big issue,
as this is a low traffic site (only a few thousand request / day).

What do you think?

thanks for any input
Thomas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/8a1f8019-0963-4af6-a71e-7b21b290c243%40googlegroups.com.