I am trying to work in an all iso-8859-1 environment, and as such I
serve my data with that charset, by setting DEFAULT_CHARSET in
settings.py.
The result of this is that all national characters come up as ?, as
they are encoded in UTF-8 in the database, as this is encoding is
enforced[1] by the MySQL backend.

So my question is this; how does one display as iso-8859-1 when the
data is forced to UTF-8 ?
Does one have to convert the data or something before displaying, and
can this be handled with a minimum amount of hassle ?

I tried searching the groups a bit before asking, the the general
feeling I got from that was that this is considered as semi-buggy
behaviour ?

-- Torbjørn

[1]:
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/db/backends/mysql/base.py#L101