The full error (last on in the stack) is

File
> "/home//venv/lib/python3.3/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/related.py",
> line 1699, in get_default
>     if isinstance(field_default, self.rel.to):
> TypeError: isinstance() arg 2 must be a type or tuple of types

Python 3.3.2, Django 1.7b1

If I switch to 1.7b4, the error changes to

  File
> "/home/s/Pycharm/flf/venv/lib/python3.3/site-packages/django/db/migrations/state.py",
>
> line 86, in render
>     model=lookup_model,
> ValueError: Lookup failed for model referenced by field study.Card.image:
> studyimages.StudyImage

The error occurs when I create a FK field to a model in another app:
study/models.py:

>     image = models.ForeignKey('studyimages.StudyImage', default=None,
> blank=True, null=True, related_name='cardpic')

The initial problem occurred with migrate, which I overcame by changing the
fk model to one in the same app, migrating, then changing the fk back to
the above the migrate command is successful.

I can run my unittests using django 1.6.5, and my functional tests may run
if I stop using StaticLiveServerCase.

I have seen several bugs about migrated and unmigrated apps not able to use
FKs, but both of my apps have migrations before introducing the FK.  Thanks
in advance.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/effa1100-29ae-41d6-87f0-04954f7fa63f%40googlegroups.com.