On Saturday, July 19, 2014, Martin Torre Castro <mad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my name is Martin and I'm a computer engineer from Spain. I'm going to
> start a new project with a colleague and I decided to use Django because we
> searched for free opensource tools and I'm in love with Python.

Hello and welcome :)

> We have made a couple of tutorials (the official one and "Tango with
> django"). I've also bought the book "Two scoops of Django" for the 1.6
> Django edition. We're starting the project soon as well as we finish the
> design, but I'm concerned about setting up the new environment. We're
> thinking of using:
>

>    - postgresql
>    - Python/Django [ of course ;-) ]
>    - Eclipse/Pydev
>
> Consider using Sublime Text 2 instead.

>    - Git
>    - jQuery
>
> Remember that JS is a whole different beast.  Have a read of this (written
by a well respected engineer), it's well worth the effort, you won't get it
right the first time, but none of us ever do!

http://addyosmani.com/resources/essentialjsdesignpatterns/book/

> I've been reading the Greenfield/Roy book and some web sites and I want to
> set up the environment with good practices by using virtualenvwrapper,
> virtualenv, pip, the requirements.txt files and so on.
> I have made some mix for all this, but I would be grateful if someone
> could confirm us if we are on the right way, give us some advice or maybe
> tell us where on the internet we can find a good way of doing all this.
>
> My preview for the whole setting up is next:
>

>    1. We should start the installations by installing "sudo apt-get
>    install virtualenvwrapper" . If I understand correctly, this installs
>    virtualenv as well as an embedded pip.
>    2.

You can also use 'pip install virtualenvwrapper' to get a more up to date
version, and just use 'apt-get install python-setup tools' to get pip.

>    1.
>    2. The virtualenv must be created ("virtualenv env") in the parent
>    directory of the Eclipse workspace, I suppose. This is one point of
>    confusion to me. I don't know either if I have to activate this every time
>    I come back for developing resuming the work from days before. I completely
>    understand that later from Eclipse I will give the python path inside the
>    virtualenv, but don't know if must activate the virtualenv every time
>

>    1. Next step would be to install all the things we need (django,
>    pillow, psycopg2) using a requirements.txt file. "pip install -r
>    requirements.txt"
>    2. We should create the new django project with a python
>    django-admin.py startproject <project_name>
>    3. Now I don't know if we should link the project to an already
>    installed version of Eclipse or run the "git init" first. I understand
>    that Eclipse and Git don't need to be installed inside the virtualenv. In
>    fact, I've been reading and it seems that Eclipse can work OK just by being
>    given the path inside the virtualenv where the python executable is
>    located. I've also read that some people used to make different workspaces,
>    but configuring the paths should be enough
>    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1145374/virtualenv-with-eclipse-galileo
>
> Can't advise much on Eclipse, sorry.

> From here I would just upload to github or bitbucket, maybe doing the
> whole thing from Eclipse would be easier. But the integration with Eclipse
> when we made tangowithdjango tutorial was the difficult point, because
> there is no option for importing a django project from Eclipse (Kepler
> version last time). We found easier to create the project from Eclipse, but
> we were not using a virtualenv for the tutorial.
>
> I haven't used virtualenv before, so it's our second main obstacle, but I
> expect it will be easy when we get used to it (^_^) .
>
> Please could someone help with some piece of advice, pros and cons of
> every option. Just don't want to do something now I will regret in future.

It really depends on your own workflow and what works best for you. If your
dev environment is on a windows or osx box but you're pushing to a Linux
prod env, them you may wish to reconsider remote python execution to a
local dev Linux box using something like active state python (otherwise
known as remote debugging).

For a while I used a samba/nfs mount to a Linux VMware install locally then
edited files over the mount and used a terminal inside VMware to execute
the code, this worked but it's a poor workflow (trying to run git over
samba gets real slow, and files can become damaged in transport)

Truth be told, I can't give a 100% recommendation because even after 8
years I'm still not happy with my own workflow. The best advice I can give
would be keep experimenting and find what works best for you. Do lots of
reading, keep an open mind etc.

Much of this will depend on the IDE you use, as some won't have support for
things like remote debugging, but this has been covered in 83748474
existing threads already, otherwise known as IDE wars!

Hope this helps dude

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAHKQagHt3tCisPzyhuyDm-RKWL1BXFx-vVhPgA1tBNAZJRxo0A%40mail.gmail.com.