I think RadRails was created because of the hype that Rails generated, everyone wanted to try it out and a lot of people aren't comfortable with a terminal. Either way, it's more then a Rails aware editor. What features would you like to see, what couldn't be accomplished from an existing Python IDE? All of the features that I can think of present in RadRails are either bloat or not relevant to Django:

Database Administrator - To slow for practical use, and Django lacks migrations.
Generators - Based on the generators built in to Rails.
Quick switch from controller action to the relevant view. - There isn't a standard convention for such a thing in Django, though I guess the template name could be pulled from the view.
Testing Helpers - Could be done from exisitng Python IDEs.
Built in terminal for debugging and launching a develpment server. - There are better applications that do just that, on OS X there is iTerm, on Windows there is Console2 and PromptPal, not sure about Linux.

-David Sissitka
On 10/13/06, Norjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Rob Hudson schreef:

> Should Django look at creating something like what RadRails is for RoR?
> http://www.radrails.org/
>
> It's built on top of Eclipse.  The screencasts look pretty cool.
>
> -Rob

Imho it would be a waste of ressourceries better spend on Django
itself. As you can already see in this topic, plenty IDE's are
available for python/django.

Rails has/had the problem that it had a lot of "magic"; automagic
import of classes/modules/mixins (and automagic creation of functions)
this makes code completion by some form of introspection nearly
impossible, thus it was usefull to create an ide that was aware of the
rails syntax. For Django, any half-decent IDE suffices. (But this is
personal, I don't really need an IDE based interface to manage.py or
other fancy stuff)
Only the templates might benefit a little. But as Django templates are
to be void of logic (as should all templates) i don't think it is
really needed to develop an entire ide for that. A few additions to the
word-file of your favourite editor shout do the trick.

For what's it word. I like Wing IDE (after messing with ultraedit and
komodo) for python stuff, and use ultra-edit for the templates.