On 29 Sep 2014, at 17:13, Javier Guerra Giraldez <jav...@guerrag.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Alejandro Varas G.
> <alej0va...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But where does configuration belong?
>>
>> "To the environment"
>

> this is the currently fashionable answer, but I haven't seen any
> justification for it.  Unfortunately, the 12factors manifesto tells
> the how, but very little of the why.
>
> In my experience, environment variables are clumsy, fragile and a pain
> to work with.
>
> I guess a more balanced option would be to store somewhere else,
> probably the database (although i'm not too opposed to VCS) with the
> host-variable parts (or everything, who cares about a couple KB extra
> storage?) as a set indexed by hostname, which is read from the
> environment.

I see configurable settings, like those in the settings module, as code
settings, and those you would put in the DB as user customizable settings. The
former are meant to be changed by developers and sys admins, and the latter by
website users. In my opinion settings module changes are mostly related to
staging or performance rather than user oriented. Apart from there are a number
of interesting Django apps in Djangopackages [1] that allow you to put your
settings in the DB.

[1] -> https://www.djangopackages.com/grids/g/configuration/

Regards