> Hello all,
> I am absolutely new to Django.
> I am really impressed with it's features.
> I have used Pylons before, but I realise now that it just does not fit my
> way of doings things.
> I am into writing financial applications.
> As a matter of Fact I have GNUKhata a free and open source accounting
> software which I did develop with Pylons.
> However my core logic is a separate xmlrpc package developed using twisted.
> I have a desktop based (browserless ) frontend for the same core logic
> module writen in SWT Java.
> But now I wish to revamp the entire webapp from pylons to Django.
> Now I have a few questions.
> 1, I don't wish to use Django's ORM, because I won't write my models in
> Django.  They have been taken well care of in my xmlrpc based Python
> backage.
> 2, I only need to make use of the control logic (view as I understand )
> and the templates.  For this I wish to know if this can be done.
> 3, I have herd about krispy-forms, any views on using them to make my ajax
> calls as well as forms?
> 4, I am looking at the Django tutorial for version 1.7, it says tutorial
> is ment for Python 3X.  How can I get a tutorial for Django 1.7 but for
> Python 2.7X?
> It is just a requirement which I am not able to do away with so I will
> need a tutorial for Python 2.7.
> Or do you guys still recommend me to go with Django 1.6 for this given
> case?
> Lastly, Please if possible mail your replies to my email directly, I am a
> totally blind programmer and the google interface is not that good.
> I like mails dropping into my Thunderbird inbox so that I can reply them
> easily.
> Happy ahcking.
> Krishnakant.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/2c5faea9-5522-42e5-982b-09334ee75aff%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/2c5faea9-5522-42e5-982b-09334ee75aff%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Hi,

A couple of your questions answered:
1. You don't need to use Django's ORM, but you will not be able to use
certain features, for example the model based class based views (ListView,
DetailView, UpdateView).
2. To use djangos views and templates, you should really first understand
Djangos MVC philosophy. In the view you should get all of the items you
want to show to the user and make the template as "dumb" as possible. It
should ideally not have any advanced logic in it (think of dumb HTML).
3. No comment on the forms (haven't used them), but it shouldn't be that
hard to implement.
4. The difference between Python 2 and Python 3 has been easier from
version 3 to version 2. I don't think you will have that much problems
using python 2 instead of python 3 in the tutorials. And if you do, it
shouldn't be that hard to fix. Django 1.7 requires at least version 2.7
though. If you find that going through the tutorial with python 3 doesn't
work, try to do the 1.6 tutorial with 2.7 first and then try the 1.7
tutorial. You will get the hang of things and should be able to see where
the problems are.

Good luck!

Regards,

Andréas