On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:53 AM, Tim Chase <django.us...@tim.thechases.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-12-17 00:14, Cal Leeming wrote:
> > One thing to note, DigitalOcean is truly awesome but it is a
> > no-frills service. You get an API and raw performance at dirt cheap
> > pricing, everything else you have to handle yourself.
>
> I'd call it "cheap pricing", not "dirt cheap pricing" since PHP
> hosting can be had for $3/mo or even pushing free, depending on the
> conditions & limitations you're willing to accept.  For a small
> one-off site, demo, or playground, the difference between hosting for
> $60/yr vs. under $36 may make or break the hosting decision.
>
> Ubiquitous availability and ease of deployment are the only things
> that PHP has going for it, IMHO.  If Django/Python could make
> deployment as easy & ubiquitous as PHP, the world would be a much
> better place. :-D

Deployment is completely separate to the code base, and the challenges
faced from deploying a PHP/Rails app is exactly the same as you'd face with
Python. It all comes down to what your release process is.. it could be
argued that PHP can just be uploaded via FTP to XYZ host, but it could (and
should) also be argued that this is not how you should do deployment
properly.

The decision of language, framework, hosting, devops workflow (e.g.
deployment etc) does not have a one size fits all. These decisions should
be made based on your own use case and situation, including the skill set
of your team, timescales, project goals, expected lifetime of the
application etc.

Sadly, despite all the tooling that exists, none of them really satisfy
real world needs. And the ones that do are either hideously complex or
excessively priced. There will always be some trade offs.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAHKQagGP04LENvdX0CE0a-Z91QSP%2BhXYuBOzC%3DGj3_NBbdk37A%40mail.gmail.com.