On 20/10/2006, at 9:01 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>   This is very similar to what Chris has done.  The issue is that his
> code hasn't been merged with Trunk, which puts me in an awkward
> position in terms of adopting it for something that is outside the
> scope of a test application.

here is what I hear you saying.

you'd rather write your own code to do the same/similar thing to what
chris
has already done (and also what has a high chance of getting merged
in the
coming months).

and as it's your own code, you are also willing to handle all the
merges, bugfixes,
and potential incompatiblies in it by yourself, and on your own dime.

If you have an active interest in Chris's code, may I suggest you
petition the powers
that be for a SVN account on it, and modify it instead of writing it
the same functionality yourself.

that way you can keep it current with the trunk (just like you would
have to do with your own)
and get it to a state where the trunk maintainers will feel much more
confident with merging it back
into the trunk.

That is how I would justify working on it to my boss at least ;-)

regards
Ian

--
Ian Holsman