On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4:29:00 AM UTC-8, Xiangyu Wu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Shall I use Django for backend and frontend or is it a good idea to use
> Angular JS for frontend and Django for backend. What are the advantages and
> disadvantages?

Doing this means using Django as basically a JSON generator. And that
generally means integrating something like Django REST Framework or
Tastypie.

Advantages:

- If you want to build both a standard site and a smartphone native app
that talk to the same back-end, you're ahead of the game
- If you have plans for rich client-side interactions, Angular is a great
choice

Disadvantages:

- Your developers now have to learn and maintain two frameworks rather than
one. Angular has a fairly steep learning curve once you get past the basics.
- You are discarding a ton of productivity tools and abilities that come
with Django. For example the ability to follow relations between models via
dot notation.

Basically, you are adding complexity and slowing down development time by
adopting the SPA approach. You should have a very good reason for doing
that.

./s

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e4da656e-dd62-47af-97ea-413c2db97d41%40googlegroups.com.