Yep, I can drop the column and create a new one as integer.
The only problem I have is that creating the field as a char was in
migration number 0020, changing it to a foreign key was in migration number
0028 and now I have already 0036 migrations. Therefore I have to "hang in"
the dropping and adding code between 0020 and 0028. How can I do this? I
can write the migration files by hand, but what is the logic to hang it in
e.g. before 0028 with already a 0027 existing.

What's best practice here?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/2fd346ed-51e4-4ff1-9358-3f2e43fd7cb9%40googlegroups.com.