Hi.

I believe the best installation is Apache + wsgi and nginx for static.

In some scenarios Apache performance may be your bottleneck, but:
1) there are a lot of ways to tune it. Read about "Multi-Processing
Modules" for example.
2) 99% of web applications do have different bottlenecks, not the web
server.
3) really huge installations should use clusters hence should be scalable
horizontally. In such scenarios web server performance is not an issue
(unless you work for Google or Facebook) :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/eed0c413-9cf6-4ceb-91ef-95a85c42ec3d%40googlegroups.com.