Look, there are two distinct things here:

a) The admin media, which physically resides on
django/contrib/admin/media and which the dev-server serves
automagically and

b) Your own media, which you are responsible of serving, either in
production or development mode

Here's what I do:
For admin media:
ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX = '/media/'

this results in the following url in admin (generated):

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/media/css/dashboard.css"
/>

For my own media, I use the following url (hand coded):

href="/static/a/b/c/style.css"

Then, for the development server:

Admin media: Do nothing
My media: add the following line to the main urls.py

urlpatterns += patterns('',
        (r'^static/(?P<path>.*)$', 'django.views.static.serve',
{'document_root': 'D:/orestis/django/static/'}),
    )

Where 'D:/orestis/django/static/' is the directory which holds the
media.

For the production server:

Admin media: Create a link named "media" under the root www directory
that points to django/contrib/admin/media
My media: copy the static directory mentioned above to the root www
directory. Comment the above added line in urls.py

So your www directory should have:

media (symlink)
static (directory with your media)

Then you have to instruct your webserver to deal with those two
directories as it would, ie. without any django processing.

I hope this clears things up.