I've been involved with Django, on and off, since v0.96 or so. I love
Django and think its the most productive way to build rich websites with
custom defined content types. Throw in Django-CMS and things get pretty
darn cool.

I was thrilled when Django reached v1.0 since it came with the promise of
having a consistent and stable API, specifically a lack of backwards
incompatible changes, unless required by security concerns. Unfortunately
this promise is routinely violated for various excuses. The bottom line is
none of the apps I've written have been able to survive any 2 point
upgrades (v+0.2). Single point upgrades usually only cause minor breakage.

I realize the desire to grow things and I applaud it. But there is a
business issue here. I can't, in good conscience recommend Django as a site
platform to many of my small clients as they simply could not afford the
upkeep of a Django powered site. Especially if the site is e-commerce
related, where PCI, and responsible site operation, will require that we
stay current. In order to do so would require staying up with the constant
flow of backwards incompatible changes, combined with the time and effort
to reverse engineer and maintain contributed apps, which aren't keeping
pace either.

With the current method of development on the Django platform, if I had
just a dozen sites of moderate complexity, it would become a full time job
just keeping them updated. Its complicated enough just finding the apps
that will actually work with each other to construct a site. But the
carefully constructed house of cards is virtually guaranteed to break with
the next update.

So I ask, PLEASE return to and stick with the promise of API stability? You
promised and routinely point to that statement, while making backwards
incompatible changes. I want to spend more time working with Django, but I
need to know that my clients can rely on painless and cost effective
upgrades.

Thanks for reading my complaint,
Jon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/11e78690-2b5f-4e99-a377-62c19b74e333%40googlegroups.com.