On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 20:09 -0400, Oliver Lavery wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The company I work for needed to add an infrastructure component to
> django for a site we're building. Since it could be generally useful
> we'd like to release it to the public in the not-too-distant future.
> We think it's pretty cool, and can't wait to share it with everyone;
> with the huge head start we got from django we're happy to give back
> in return. The details will have to wait until the code is actually
> available though.

Nice. :-)

> In any event, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to
> package a (mostly) self-contained django app for distribution? We have
> a few settings, but otherwise it's merely an app that needs to live
> somewhere convenient. A patch against django.contrib is one option,
> except that that path may reside in an .egg or might be linked to svn.
> Presently we simply have our app at the root of our site, but that
> could be a bit yucky for people who have their own site in a source
> control system (if you don't, you probably should).

Django applications are just Python packages. That is, you need to be
able to import things from inside the application directory. There is no
requirement for it to live in a project directory or inside Django's
source or anything like that.

This means you can ship applications just as a tarball (or egg or method
of choice) of the directory that the user can unpack wherever they
choose in their system, providing it ultimately ends up on the Python
path when the Django application is running. Include a little README
file detailing the settings that are needed and mentioning that the user
should add the location of the application directory to their
INSTALLED_APPS directory as an importable path. Simple.

Regards,
Malcolm