On 10/27/06, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> and so on...
> I cant but woefully look at Ruby_oN_rails guys adding ranking with just
> one line @act_as_votable and they are set.. no more bugs to fix, Do you
> guys have any ideas on how to do this, somehting similar to

Ehhh. I don't normally like to get into Rails vs. Django, but so many
of the "acts_as" things in Rails seem to do scary things under the
hood ("acts_as_list" is probably the worst offender), and you have to
dig into them a bit to figure out what's actually going on. I'm
generally happier when I'm doing things more explicitly.

As for doing it in Django, I'd second the recommendation to look at
GenericForeignKey (which is largely just a combo of
contenttype_id/object_id in a model, plus some database API methods
which handle the joins for you).

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin