On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Vibhu Rishi <vibhu.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I work on a hobby project on and off which is based on django. After a long
> gap, I picked up the work again. In the meantime, it seems that django has
> been evolving faster than I have been working. I am currently on 1.6 (which
> I think i had upgraded from 1.4 or 1.3 as my starting base). However, the
> current new version of Django is 1.9
>
> I created a new virtual environment and used pip to get the latest version
> of django.
>
> Now I am getting a lot of errors.

That is the hard way.

> Is there an easy way to upgrade django ? Or a howto for best practices ?

(Releases have version components: "1.9.1" is major release 1, minor
release 9, minor-minor release 1)

If you are on release 1.N, update to release 1.N+1.Y (with Y being the
highest released minor-minor version), and step through its release
notes dealing with all the things which have changed or been
deprecated, and update them accordingly. Run your test suite to
determine if anything has been broken (pro tip: tests are useful - you
might want to write some if you don't already test your most common
features)

Then, do the next minor release until you reach the latest release.

A more complete process would be to update to 1.N+1, ensure tests pass
and deprecated behaviour handled, THEN subsequently to 1.N+1.Y, ensure
tests pass and only then go to the next minor version. That can be a
bit paranoid, as (deliberately) not much functionality or breaking
changes are added in minor-minor releases of django.

Release notes are here:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/releases/

Cheers

Tom

PS: Best practices are not to fall that far behind!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAFHbX1LiKM3pzb1bAFTk88iLmbJKWpEaa3NTMdsVw3WJ%2BRwbdw%40mail.gmail.com.