On 11/1/06, mamcxyz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I having this error:
>
> OperationalError: (1267, "Illegal mix of collations
> (latin1_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for
> operation '='")
>
> When I try to run code like this:
>
> City.objects.filter(name='Medellín')
>
> I have a working site where I need to perform a data upgrade, and is
> common have this kind of city names (is a site for Colombia, in
> spanish)
>
> Never before get this problem...
>
> I use MySql 4.
>

> I try to do
> City.objects.filter(name='Medellín'.encode/decode('latin_1'))
>
> with not look.
>
> I search on Google and found this is a reported problem with Django but
> not understand what to do...

I assume your database is in latin1. Django tries to force utf8 if
your server version is at least 4.1. Are you using 4.0 or 4.1?

Try:

City.objects.filter(name=u'Medellín')

This ultimately passes a unicode object to  MySQLdb which should
encode it into the connection's character set encoding, which I guess
will be latin1.

BTW, what version of MySQLdb are you using?
--
This message has been scanned for memes and
dangerous content by MindScanner, and is