Hi Vinay,

On 02/02/2016 12:14 PM, 'Vinay Sajip' via Django users wrote:
> I'm not arguing for any particular different routing scheme to be
> included - only for management commands to be able to be written to
> respect --data arguments passed to them, and which can easily treat the
> passed value as the default database to use just for that command
> invocation, when that value is different to whatever
> settings.DATABASES['default'] is. A quick look at the builtin management
> commands shows there's a lot of usage
> of connections[options.get('database')] going on, and yet externally
> written management commands aren't encouraged to use the same approach,
> and multiple settings files are the suggested alternative?

There's nothing wrong with connections[options.get('database')] if you
want to get a specific database connection object; that's public API and
you can use it. In the case of the built-in commands, that's useful
because they need to do low-level things with the connection; I don't
think it helps you for regular ORM use. It doesn't allow changing the
default connection for ORM usage. Where the built-in management commands
do use the higher-level ORM, they use the public `using` APIs.

In other words, the built-in management commands aren't doing anything
different from what I originally recommended you do (just use `using`).

If you want to write a management command that has a --database option
like the built-in ones and makes heavy use of the ORM, you can a)
explicitly provide `using` where needed , b) use
django-dynamic-db-router, or c) hold your nose and monkeypatch
DEFAULT_DB_ALIAS, since it's just a one-shot management command and you
don't need to be as concerned about cleaning up after yourself.

Personally I would go for (a) or (b), depending on just how much I was
using the ORM in the management command. I'm not convinced that a fourth
(or third supported public) option is necessary here. If it's just a few
queries, you use `using`, if it's more than that and you want a broader
policy applied, you use a database router.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/56B10877.10900%40oddbird.net.