On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 1:08:51 PM UTC+2, grzegorz.stalmierski
wrote:

> With current architecture around migrations Django
> is database owner, not one of the database services.

Application layer is chaning over time and its lifetime is a way shorter
than database and data.
Mid-level and big systems are often service oriented, where services are
responsible to do things other than displaying blog page as a html.
Django should not manage their databases, or even must not.

Django as a database owner is a nonsense in some cases.

Don't get me wrong - builtin migrations are ok for small projects, but as a
system architect I should have possibility to disable them.
When disabled, Django should not remind me about unapplied migrations and
should disallow me to makemigrations or migrate db.
Also Django should dump SQL of the current models state to make diff using
external tool.
That' all.

Marcin

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4c1f4933-26ef-4311-b4bc-cd0cd4dbd56d%40googlegroups.com.