On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 07:30:07AM -0700, Rick Leir wrote:
> Here are the Stackoverflow discussions I mentioned Ñ )oops I have the
> Espanol keyboard selected=
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16173328/what-unicode
> -normalization-and-other-processing-is-appropriate-for-passwords-w
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2798794/how-do-i-properly-implement-
> unicode-passwords
>
> Maybe we should not permit unicode passwords:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1797777/should-i-support-unicode-in-passwords
>
> One issue for passwords is that you might have different Input Methods when
> you use different browsers, making it more difficult to login. Are Input
> Methods much different among browsers?
>  We only need to consider browsers, clearly, not other UI's. (please
> correct me if there is any other, say Qt GUI)
>
>    - Chrome: use  input tools http://www.google.com/inputtools/ on Mac,
>    Linux, and Windows
>    - Mobile Android:  long-press then slide to select a char
>    - Mobile Ios:
>    - I.E.: Microsoft has a few ways to enter Hex codes (unfriendly in my
>    mind) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input#In_Microsoft_Windows
>    - Firefox: there are 5 addons
>    available
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/input%20method%20editor
>    - Opera, Konqueror, .. .. ..
>
> The issue for usernames is that you could spoof someone else's username,
> and appear to be (impersonate) another person. The attacker can easily
> enter a character which looks the same but has a different Unicode point.
>  Michal, as you say, we would want to normalize the chars. And as you say,
> it is a topic for the dev list.
>
> But how important is this issue? Yes, it is security related. But it is far
> from critical in my mind.

It's not important until this happens:
https://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Question is whether this is something that Django should handle by
default, or it's up to each application developer to take care of it.

A quick and superficial search through the archives of
django-developers didn't yield much on this topic, I only found one
thread about this from way back in 2008, and as I skimmed through the
thread, it doesn't seem the security aspects were considered:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/WW28RIVyU3k/discussion

Michal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/20160421144157.GH1129%40koniiiik.org.