URLs have different parts or components. The different parts use different
escaping rules.

foo.com/?next=/some/folder

foo.com: uses DNS escaping rules

/: uses path escaping rules, which allows / as a path separator

next=%2Fsome%2Ffolder: uses query parameter escaping rules, which does not
allow "/"

Stuff after a "?" but before a "#" are query parameters, and it follows
different escaping rules than the path part.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAD4ANxXCmorwwGi%2BwFmxAHBf2A-nL%3DeO%3DzeFnnpo7hoDJfLTnw%40mail.gmail.com.