I figured this out - the problem turned out to be that the RHEL 7
machine had django 1.6.0 whereas the RHEL 6 machine had 1.6.10. Once I
installed 1.6.10 on the 7 machine all was well.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CACwCsY7iXZJMcwn7ZuCgMeOv9brh9HF3xgDfE1B0Z%2BN_bJfWGw%40mail.gmail.com.