Hi,

> I am wondering if there is a way to access request data and session object
> directly from Django templates, in the same way as {{ user }} for instance.
> I must admit I'm a bit lost with template context processors and so on...

You need to activate the "django.core.context_processors.request"
context processor. To do that you should add the following to your
settings.py file:

TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS = (
    'django.core.context_processors.auth',
    'django.core.context_processors.debug',
    'django.core.context_processors.i18n',
    'django.core.context_processors.request',
)

Then, to actually have your context processors activated during a
template rendering, you must pass a RequestContext as the context for
your template. In other words, when you are returning a
render_to_response() in your view you should do it like this:

def my_view(request):
    # do your stuff....
    return render_to_response('my_template.html',
                              my_data,
                              context_instance=RequestContext(request) )

Take a look at the documentation here:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/templates_python/#subclassing-context-requestcontext

Hope it helps.

Regards,