Well I got it to work by what you said.  Here is my example for those
that might come across this thread:

        if errors or request.POST.has_key('preview'):
                response_dict = {}
                datetime_now = datetime.datetime.now()
                comment = errors and '' or manipulator.get_comment(new_data)
                response_dict.update({
                        'commentuser': str(comment.person_name),
                        'comment': str(comment.comment),
                        'hash': str(security_hash),
                        'success': True,
                        'year': datetime_now.year,
                        'month': str(datetime_now.strftime("%b")),
                        'day': datetime_now.strftime("%d")
                })
                if xhr:
                        return HttpResponse(simplejson.dumps(response_dict),
mimetype='application/javascript')
                else:
                        return render_to_response('comments/free_preview.html',
{
                                'comment': comment,
                                'comment_form': forms.FormWrapper(manipulator,
new_data, errors),
                                'options': options,
                                'target': target,
                                'hash': security_hash,
                        }, context_instance=RequestContext(request))