I've resolved the issue.

There was no problem with the development server only in Apache.  The
Apache configuration was set up before the upgrade and was referring to the
Python3.4 libraries not the Python3.5 libraries where pip installs Django
1.10.  I updated the Apache configuration and now everything works fine
with 1.10.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/6cbe7e67-0ed7-4b23-9064-d9075ceb6bb4%40googlegroups.com.