On 8/09/2016 10:12 PM, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
Den 7. sep. 2016 kl. 10.49 skrev James Schneider <jrschneide...@gmail.com>:

You may also want to consider building in a configuration manager such as
Ansible or Salt stack. Once set up, you can deploy multiple staging and prod
servers with a couple commands. With the right planning, that could potentially
work across major Ubuntu versions as an upgrade path.

Probably won't save you time up front, but it definitely will next time this
comes around, with the added bonus of a near instantaneous recovery of a
dev/prod system build with little need for backups beyond your custom app code
and the play books for your config management.
I'll chime in and say that this is really a must nowadays if you're hosting
your own services. Not having a server configuration that you can deploy to a
new server within minutes is like building a Django project and not having a
requirements.txt. Sure, you can pip install everything manually and memorize
which packages you're using and which versions are compatible with your
project, but a list of requirements is just so much better.

I agree. My practise is to never directly apt-get install and never pip install either. I have a single bash script called install.host and that's where I put all such OS edits. I run the script to make the install and then comment out that line afterwards. It also does the security upgrades from the Ubuntu repos. I then take that script to a new (next) machine, uncomment as appropriate and let it rip.

That has worked for me so far but now I want to use Python 3.5 and probably virtualenv (which I have previously only used on dev machines) and Apache2.4 (previously Apache 2.2) and mod_wsgi etc etc.

Bottom line is I think I have to invest a bit of effort in a new Ubuntu 16.04 machine. But I would prefer a lovely easy recipe to bring Python 3.5 to both my existing servers being 12.04 staging and 14.04 production.

Thanks Erik

Mike

Erik

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/50bc76f6-6886-29d1-48aa-46f3e80249f1%40dewhirst.com.au.